Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My dog was sprayed by a skunk!

Well that is the last title I thought I would ever put in here! I can't believe it! Last week, just like always, I let my dog out before going to bed. Only this time he started barking and barking and would not stop. It was that serious sounding bark that lets you know he is actually dealing with something alive out there. Bill ran to the door to call him in so he wouldn't disturb the neighbors so late at night. As soon as he opened the door ~ yuck.

I was in the bedroom and heard Bill say, "It smells like skunk out there." I ran to the door thinking ~ oh know, please not that. But of course as you already know... my dog came running up to the door rubbing his little nose on his paws the whole way. Ewwwweeeeee.

I use to think, lucky for me I had never had to deal with the issue before. To bad for me that now I was experiencing it. Oh well I guess it’s all just a part of life. But since I had never had to deal with it before I wasn't sure exactly what I was suppose to do. I had heard of the tomato juice bath but had also heard that it didn't really work. The smell was so bad that I think it may have been clouding my thinking. But I knew that I wasn't going to the store to buy a lot of tomato juice.

Bill put the dog in the bathroom and shut the door. I called my friend, Amy, who had just gone through this a couple of weeks ago. She gave me a wonderful recipe to stop the stink. So while she was probably hoping to be in bed she was instead giving me the following recipe. (Thanks Amy) :-)
The recipe is:

1 quart of hydrogen peroxide (if you don't have it you can use white vinegar but it won't work as well)
1/4 cup of baking soda
2 T dish soap (liquid, not the kind for the dishwasher)
mix and use IMMEDIATELY

put the dog in the tub and give him a bath with your mixture

dry the dog

pet him and let him know it is not his fault

You’re done

This worked sooooo good. I was absolutely and pleasantly amazed. The stink was gone! My little dog was himself again. And no… he was not allowed outside the rest of the night. :)

So tuck this recipe away for that some day when you least except it and your pet, your child, your friend, or yourself, comes in and you go... ewwwweeee.

Have a fabulous day
Live well
Sing loud
Cathy

No comments:

 
UA-10892816-2